How Much Water Should I Drink?
Ask a handful of people the question “how much water should I drink” and you’re likely to get a myriad of different answers. And, it’s not their fault. There has been a lot of misinformation being spread online over the years. Some people have claimed you need a gallon of water a day. Some have said that it’s actually half your body weight in ounces. Or, is it three liters?
All this confusion is understandable because even the experts can’t seem to agree.
- Mayo Clinic says 2.7 - 3.7 liters a day with 20% of that intake coming from food.
- Healthline says that some experts recommend sipping on water all day long, even if you’re not thirsty. Though, to Healthline’s credit, they also say 2.7 to 3.7 liters of water a day is ideal for a healthy individual.
- The NHS in the UK has experts that say you should be drinking 6-8 cups (or glasses) a day which is approximately 64oz.
WHO IS CORRECT?
There are many opinions on the correct amount of water that should be consumed every day. The long and the short correct answer is; it depends on you.
Certain medications, excessive sweating due to exercise, working outside in the summer, traveling, and so many other factors can lead to dehydration. Recognizing these water draining activities and ensuring you’re getting a little extra water or electrolytes can make a difference in how you feel.
If you’re someone who is relatively sedentary (maybe you sit at your desk indoors for work most of the day) you may not need as much water intake as the people above.
DEHYDRATION AND CHRONIC ILLNESS
People with chronic illnesses like POTS (postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome), diabetes, cystic fibrosis, certain kidney diseases, EDS (Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome), and other forms of dysautonomia will find that they are chronically dehydrated. If you fall into this category, talk to your doctor because you’ll likely need to increase your fluid intake.
WATER COMES FROM FOOD, TOO
Consider that you don’t have to intake all your water by drinking it. Eating foods high in water like certain fruits and vegetables will help you get to your daily hydration goals quickly. Approximately 80% of the water you get daily will come from water you drink and other beverages (yes, your coffee, tea, or soda counts). The remaining 20% comes from the foods you eat.
Foods high in water content are some of the following: watermelons, cucumber, apples, lettuce, peaches, zucchini, tomatoes, and more.
WATER INTAKE IS INDIVIDUALIZED
There is no magic formula for how much water you should drink in a day. In fact, Harvard Health Publishing says that, “water intake must be individualized, and you should check with your doctor if you are not sure about the right amount for you.” A great place to start is with the Mayo Health Clinics recommended intake.
- For Women: 2.7 liters
- For Men: 3.7 liters
MEDICAL GRADE ELECTROLYTES
If you’re someone who needs extra hydration day to day then we recommend a medical grade electrolyte solution. These can help you retain and replenish more efficiently than by drinking water alone.
NormaLyte is a great option to keep yourself more efficiently hydrated on days when you’re in need of more because of excessive sweating, exercise, or even chronic illnesses.