What is postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS)?
POTS is a chronic illness (specifically a form of dysautonomia) that affects the way blood pools in your body causing a myriad of symptoms. Often, upon standing, POTS patients may find that they become lightheaded and may actually faint. Heart rate may increase rapidly through the day despite the level of physical activity, but can be relieved by sitting or laying down. This causes POTS patients to be misdiagnosed with anxiety disorders.
Symptoms may include:
- High or low blood pressure
- Inability to regulate temperature (feeling hot or cold)
- Lightheaded or dizzy
- High or low heart rate
- Trouble focusing or forgetfulness - brain fog
- Feeling nervous
- Chest pain
How is POTS Treated?
Like any illness, there are a variety of treatments that POTS patients use. It can be a bit of trial and error as to what works best for you, especially when it comes to prescribed medications. These treatments are generally regarded as trusted ways to manage everyone's symptoms:
- Increased sodium and water intake. The amount of sodium increased should be discussed with your doctor.
- Exercise. We know. It literally feels impossible to exercise with the level of fatigue you're experiencing on a daily basis. But it really does help. Start small, exercising for 5-10 minutes a day and building up from there. You'll start to notice a difference in your overall energy levels.
- Get enough rest. Another common complaint among POTS patients is a lack of sleep. When you're tired you don't feel good. Be sure that you're going to bed on time each night.
- Sit when you can. Standing can make your heart rate go bonkers. Sitting and propping your feet up will help maintain your blood pressure and may of your symtpoms.
Treating POTS with NormaLyte
NormaLyte is a perfect way to efficiently increase your intake of electrolytes and water as it uses the World Health Organizations specific recommendation for oral rehydration. Often patients with POTS have found that taking NormaLyte in the morning will help jumpstart your day to keep symptoms under control.
NormaLyte's Pure was created specifically for people with POTS. It's gentle on the stomach and formulated in partnership with Dysautonomia International just for you.
NormaLyte is doctor recommended.
NormaLyte is medically superior to other oral rehydration solutions for a variety of reasons. NormaLyte follows the exact recipe for oral rehydration from the World Health Organization. This is important as many other brands may tote that they will hydrate you, but often they fall short. Check out the chart showing the differences in our blog here. For this reason many doctors prefer NormaLyte.
NormaLyte is considered a medical grade food. This distinction is important as you can use your HSA or FSA to purchase. Our competitors have not been able to do the same, and for this reason doctors also love that patients can save on a medically necessary food.